Understanding the Brain

Child and Youth Worker

From Cognopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Child and Youth Workers, also known as Child Care Workers, Child and Youth Counsellors, and Child and Youth Care Workers are professionals who work with children and adolescents in various therapeutic contexts, in the USA and Canada.[1]

CYWs often complete a three-year programme in a community college leading to a diploma. Programmes will include coursework and field placement. Typically, the first year placement is in an elementary school classroom, second year is in a therapeutic group home, and third is a specialised setting such as a hospital, chosen by the student. Some individuals enter the child and youth care field with a college diploma or university degree in a related field, such as psychology, sociology, or social service worker training.

CYWs work in many milieux, including schools, psychiatric hospitals, and a variety of treatment programmes. The typical "entry level" position for a CYW is as a front-line worker in a therapeutic group home. They may go on to work in special education directed career.


External links